Re: [RC] Electronic Communication on Trail? - Truman Prevatt

You must be using a different dictionary than I have around here - I sure can't see any of the definitions of "promoting" fitting this. Nacy is right promoting is providing encouragement or hazing a horse to go faster or farther than he would on his own. Using a radio in this discussion is a method of passing "intelligence" concerning the other riders.

There used to be a rider in FL who was very competitive. His wife crewed for him. She would meet him on the trail at every opportunity - usually where the trail crossed a road. This was on the order of every three or four miles in many cases. She was there when the other horses in front came through. She would offer them water and collect intelligence, noting how their horse looks, what they told her about their horse, etc. Then when her husband came through, she would tell him how far the other riders were ahead of him and how their horses were doing.

Her effort at gathering intelligence on the other riders/horses and then delivering it her husband as timely as using any radio or cell phone, not to mention the you didn't have to contend with messing with a radio or having the sucker break up as Angie described.

If using a radio is an issue than so should be on trail crewing.

Truman

Magnumsmom@xxxxxxx wrote:
Truman wrote:
> "
You really want to get into DQ'ing people based on this"

It does sound like that in my last email.  Actually, I'd rather
just have a ruling from one or more of our committees, and
/ or the BOD.

Thing is, they are volunteers and over worked so the ruling,
if it's important, may not come until it's an "issue".  The
scenario outlined would work to clarify the discussion.  Yes,
I do think that electronic communication out on the trail
between a rider and their crew can fall under "Prompting".
I also think that if there was an emergency situation where
electronic communication between rider and crew was used,
a completion would be the least of their worries.

The sport is between the rider, the horse, and the trail.
Besides, Angie's got it right on.

:) - Kathy Myers
in Santa Fe, NM
AERC #14992

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."