[RC] trail users update, part 2of 2 - Nancy Reed

Two years ago the Escondido Creek Conservancy was able to purchase the neighboring Durbas property on the east side of the Reserve consisting of 450 ac and miles of existing trails.  The main Durbas trail connects to Lake Hodges and the Coast to Crest Trail.  (C to C is 55 miles long from Del Mar to Julian.  Not all of the C to C trail is open, but a major part is open around Lake Hodges.) The Reserve is working to secure legal trail connections with the Durbas property.  This  will take some pressure off the Way Up Trail. On the west side, the Reserve is working to open the Cielo/Mysha Canyon Trail.  This trail is a wild land trail in a deep canyon with a creek and oaks.  It is rugged and beautiful.  Again, opening this trail will help to take the pressure off the Way Up Trail and decrease user conflict.

So why am I telling you all this?  It is my belief that the Reserve needs more equestrian use.  We need to have a bigger presence to ensure continued equestrian use in the future.  With the many miles of trails slated to be added in the very near future, if we don't make our presence known it will be over taken by bikers.  Looking for a new place to ride that is challenging?  This is the place. For those interested, the main staging area has 3 parking spaces for rigs that are very easy pull through.  This is not a novice park, the Way Up trail is steep, long and has no warm up.  The trail to the west has a very technical water crossing in the first few feet and  then some nice single track under the trees. You can also access the park by parking at the fire station on Elfin Forest Road and taking the trail on my street.  Please contact me if you want more information.  I will gladly show you the trails.

To all the kind people who responded to my request for conflict resolution ideas, a big THANK YOU!  I was well prepared for the meeting and was able to ensure the equestrian point of view was present. For

more info on the Reserve go to    http://olivenhain.com/parks.html

Thank you again, Nancy Reed, Lazy J Ranch, Elfin Forest, CA