[RC] trail users upadate, part 1 of 2 - Nancy Reed

The meeting I attended regarding trail user conflicts was very positive and productive.  Two main problems were identified, loose dogs/dog poop and rouge mountain bikers that speed down the main trail entrance.  The group was split on requiring leashes and opted for education and to add volunteer mountain bike patrols on the weekends.  The use of bells will be investigated.  Better signs will be made. I was very pleased at the way the group was able to work together in a positive manner.  No blaming or pointing fingers just open minds looking to ease the parks growing pains.  We were all aware that the continued development in our area will only intensify these conflicts in the future.  The hope is to provide enough education and patrols that the word will get out that you can not be a rouge rider and get away with it. The park, Elfin Forest Recreational Reserve is not well known currently. It is 800ac and growing.  It is located in northern San Diego County, California.  The Reserve has one main trail, the Way Up Trail that is a steep climb to the top with more trails and incredible views to the ocean and Cuyamaca and the Laguna's to the east.  The diamond in the middle is the new reservoir that is almost completely filled.  The park currently only has a few miles of single track trails.  This is a good thing as this avoids many of the dangerous user conflicts.