[RC] The Real Reasons We're Losing Our Trails: Part 1 - Linda B. Merims

I hit the jackpot today in my quest to understand why we're
suddenly getting hit with all these equestrian trail closures
in the US Forest Service's Southeast Region (Northern Cherokee
National Forest, Chattahoochee Oconee National Forest).

The web site I'm referring you to is the US Forest Service's
home web site for something that they call "Meaningful
Measures."  This "Meaningful Measures" (MM) protocol is what
the regional forest service people mean when they explain
their actions in closing the Cherokee National Forest to
equestrian use except on designated equestrian trails by
saying they are only "implementing policies coming down
from The Chief."

It looks like this MM thing got started in the early 90's,
partially as the result of stern criticism from the
General Accounting Office on the Forest Service's lack
of rigorous management practises, such as having no
inventory of its assets (including roads and trails).

For the last fourteen years or so, the Forest Service
has been trying to implement this MM protocol, which
includes creating a database of its "inventory"
called INFRA.

In just these past five years, the regions have been
directed to "populate" the Trails Inventory component of
the INFRA database by, so it was ordered, surveying 20% of
their trails each year.  Part of populating this
Trails database is being *forced* to make a decision
on what is and isn't a trail, and what each trail's
"designed use," "managed use," and budget is.  What
was fuzzy and undefined (and therefore uncontrolled)
before has been forced to become clear and defined and
extremely controlled.

Once again, instead of modelling reality, a computer
database has been used to create reality.

Perhaps the sleeper in the INFRA database is the
"Prohibited Use" fields, which--so the policy says--requires
a citation of a legal finding before it can be filled
in.

Oddly, populating the INFRA database did not require
that the forest service employees convert any existing
trails inventory they might have maintained through
the 20-year old "dg" database system.  (As I said, run
the clock back to zero and start over from scratch.)

I'm still trying to take it all in and see how all the
different components of Meaningful Measures (INFRA, TRACS,
TMO "Trail Management Objectives" under the Inventory tab)
are interacting to get what was originally an effort to
improve recreational customer service morphed into
a "Close Everything and Claim Victory" strategy on the
part of FS staff.

So, make some tea, get a fast internet connection,
curl up in a chair with your laptop and observe this
incredible spectacle...

Linda B. Merims
Norris, TN
USA

P.S.:  Oh, and in case all you Bureau of Land Management types
out west are thinking "Whew, thank heavens that isn't happening
to us!" see:  http://www.nps.gov/gis/trails   BLM has agreed
to adopt the "Designed Use," "Managed Use," and "Trail Class"
designations into their own trail database system.