Re: [RC] Horse Cover Ups at Rides? - Ed & Wendy Hauser

I learned to ride in MN and WI.  MW riders carry lots of blankets etc.  Cold rain is the worst.  I carry for each horse:

Water proof sheet. (a cheap cotton canvas one saturated with lots of Thompson's Water Seal)
A wool blanket (the kind race tracks use under a regular cooler to absorb sweat)
A warm quilted blanket.
a couple of polar fleece coolers.

Before a ride I don't do much blanketing, unless the horse seems cool.  Note: our horses at home are out, unblanketed  24/7 even in WI and MT winters.  The coldest night time temps they have seen is about -35 F.

During a ride we use what ever it takes to keep warm and dry.  Sometimes that is a lot of blankets.  Seems to work best if tack is pulled when you come in and immediately put blankets on rear half of horse, even while putting water on front.

After a ride, blanket if the night is at all cool.  You have to put hands under the blanket to feel how warm and/or sweaty the horse is.  Some horses need many more blankets than others.  I had a Paint mare that would sweat under an insulated blanket even in a sleet storm, but she was the exception.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875