[RC] letter to AERC directors - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Frances gumbootballet@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have just posted the following letter to the directors of the AERC and am
looking forward to some clarification of the current rulings about banned
substances.
Dear Board of Directors;
  I am a fairly recent convert to Endurance riding and find myself confused by
the issue of what substances are and are not legal for use in competition. I
have spoken to seasoned riders about this issue and have spent time on Ridecamp
exploring the subject, one which seems to generate conflict and confusion at
every turn. I clearly understand that drugs and medications are not to be used
at any time in competition. It is the AERC policy about holistic substances
that I am at sea about. To my knowledge most homeopathic/holistic supports work
by increasing the recipient's level of health and wellbeing, allowing that
person or animal to work at a higher level. Substances such as Arnica, DMG,
MSM, Carb-Charge etc. do not test and, in the case of DMG, occur naturally
within the cells of all mammals. I personally know of riders that are competing
and winning while using some of these supports. I also know of riders who feel
ethically restrained from competing with a horse that is supported by anything
other than standard types of feed. Therefore, my question to you is " What is
the AERCs stand on holistic/homeopathic support in competition?" and "How can
the AERC fairly regulate substances which work by increasing a horse's
wellbeing and which cannot be detected through testing?" I feel that this is an
important issue which needs to be seriously addressed in order to give all
competitors an even playing field. -Frances Forgues, Cumberland, B.C.