RE: [RC] letter to AERC directors - bobmorris

As an AERC Director and a past member of the AERC Rules
Committee I would offer the following "PERSONAL" opinion of
the AERC Drug Rule. First let me quote the rule:

13. The integrity of Endurance Competition requires that the
equine is not influenced
by any drug, medication or veterinary treatment. Endurance
equines must compete entirely on their natural ability. AERC
prohibits from
competition equines who contain evidence of the
administration of abnormal
substances or of normal substances in abnormal amounts
(exogenously
administered compounds even if normally found endogenously).

13.1 The use of additional therapies during competition
shall be prohibited.
This shall include any invasive procedures, (e.g.:
acupuncture),
manipulative procedures, (e.g.: osseous manipulative
procedures), the
use of any devices to manipulate or stimulate acupressure or
response
points, (e.g.: Bioscans, laser lights, magnetic stimulation
devices, etc).
Competition shall mean the time from the pre-ride veterinary
examination
to the completion of the final veterinary examination for
the
event, including the best-condition judging. Multiple day
rides shall
be treated as they have been determined by AERC either
individual
day events or one event if so designated.

       13.1a. Upon discovery of the presence of such drug
or medication,
       the approved laboratory shall immediately report the
matter
       to the Executive Director of AERC. Any action or
substance
       administered internally or externally, whether drugs
or other-wise,
       which may interfere with the testing procedure, or
mask or screen the
       presence of such drug, is forbidden.

While this is not the entire rule, it is the most important
and basic portion that is being questioned.  "NO DRUGS"

In my humble opinion, if you take AERC Rule #13 on the
merits of keeping the sport of endurance free from undue
"drug" influence there is no question as to it's meaning or
interpretation. "NO DRUGS OF ANY AMOUNT OR ANY KIND ALLOWED,
WHETHER THEY TEST OR NOT"  However, if you wish to parse
each and every word of the rule, clamor for a strict
definition of the word drug, search for ways of
circumvention and ignore your personal conscience, then
there is room for a multitude of questions.

In promulgating this rule, the original thought was that the
competitors were, with very minor exceptions, equestrians
who had the welfare of the horse in mind. Time has proven us
not quite correct in surmising that concept. It appears that
no matter the rule, some jailhouse lawyer will instigate an
act or question to undermine the integrity of such a rule
and thus the nature of this sport.

To this end, I would point out that the clause most pointed
out in this rule is <<<"AERC prohibits from
competition equines who contain evidence of the
administration of abnormal substances or of normal
substances in abnormal amounts">>>

Please realize this does not state a drug test is paramount.
The evidence of used syringes in your horse trailer could be
" evidence of the administration" that could be used against
a competitor. Remember that the stretching of the wording
could go both ways.

Bob Morris
Director, Northwest Region

Bob Morris