Re: [RC] marking horses for disasters - Truman Prevatt

After Andrew hit and people realized that there was no information to help horse owners, a group of horse owners got together and developed procedures and published a pamphlet for horse owners. It is available from the emergency planners in FL.

The thing they recommen is to take lots of pictures of your horses. The way they recommen to mark them is to get the wide neckbands and put you info on there with a waterproof marker. These will stay on unlike halters or grease pens, etc.

Truman

Jonni Jewell wrote:
Writing your phone number BIG on the side of a horse with a grease pen helps
someone maybe be able to read it, if the animal is seen running loose, but
they were unable to catch it.  Of course, hopefully you had to the time to
really write it on there good, so it might not disappear in the rain and
mud. But I am sure, that in most cases, folks who have to leave their
animals behind, are often rushed to just get out of there themselves.

I had ID tags braided in my horses manes for all of XP2004, and the travels
between. Usually the braid was in for about 3 weeks, before I unbraided,
combed (maybe washed the horse) and redid the braid. I put the ID tag (made
at Petsmart on the tag machine) in the middle of a piece of ribbon, and
started the braid with the tag up at the top, braiding the ends of the
ribbon down into the braid. I tied off the ribbon at the bottom, and then
added a rubber band to be sure it did not come undone. These are not easy to
see from a distance, BUT, I find they stay on well, unless the horse rips
the whole braid off its body. I had my cell phone number, and my hubbies
cell phone number on them, and our last name.

I have used these daily too, not just traveling, in case the horses somehow
got out of their pasture.

Jonni