From: "Ridecamp Guest" <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, August 10, 2004 7:31 PM
Subject: [RC] Tevis - Strategy for vet checks

Please Reply to: Monica Bennett mbennett_pcrendurance.com or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Anyway, my question is how to best handle checks like Tevis where as soon as
you P&R you go to the vet.  My usual strategy is to P&R as fast as possible
then let my horse eat and drink for as long as possible before vetting
through and getting ready to head out again.

I didn't realize that once I P&R'd I'd have to go to the vet straight away
and at the time I was there, I couldn't bring food or water in with me.  My
horse got a C+ on gut sounds and a 44/40 CRI.  When I came back through for
a re-check, he had the chance to eat and drink and his gut sounds were a B+
but his pulse was moving between 52 and 60, so we were pulled.

Is it still the best idea to P&R as soon as your horse drops or should I
have let him eat and drink for 10-20 minutes before going to the P&R and
vet?