[RC] Tevis - Strategy for vet checks - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Monica Bennett mbennett_pcrendurance.com or
ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

This year was my first attempt at Tevis and unfortunately I was pulled at
Robinson's flat as my horse was not quite right and the vets thought he might
tie up on me.  The good news is he didn't and is just fine, this was the first
pull for both of us and we're looking at every angle to learn what we can from
the experience.

Anyway, my question is how to best handle checks like Tevis where as soon as
you P&R you go to the vet.  My usual strategy is to P&R as fast as possible
then let my horse eat and drink for as long as possible before vetting through
and getting ready to head out again.

I didn't realize that once I P&R'd I'd have to go to the vet straight away and
at the time I was there, I couldn't bring food or water in with me.  My horse
got a C+ on gut sounds and a 44/40 CRI.  When I came back through for a
re-check, he had the chance to eat and drink and his gut sounds were a B+ but
his pulse was moving between 52 and 60, so we were pulled.

Is it still the best idea to P&R as soon as your horse drops or should I have
let him eat and drink for 10-20 minutes before going to the P&R and vet?

My horse always pulses down immediately, but I feel like maybe I mismanaged
this aspect of the ride.  Someone mentioned to me that this is how FEI rides
are done, having never done one I was taken by surprise and have been thinking
on it ever since.

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated and congrats to all those who tried
and especially all those that finished. We will come back next year to try
again :-) !

Monica Bennett and Inde