[RC] Tevis - Strategy for vet checks - Jonni Jewell

Is it still the best idea to P&R as soon as your horse drops or should I
have let him eat and drink for 10-20 minutes before going to the P&R and
vet?<<<

The problem with Tevis is, on the one hour holds, you need to get that pulse
check done ASAP, so you can get your "out time" as you don't have a lot of
time to spare during the day. Of course, one must always do what is best for
the horse. Inde might have just been having a bad day. It happens to all of
our horses at one time or another. What one must know, is what works best
for THEIR horse, and what is NORMAL for their horse, so you will know if
something is not right in your horses recovery etc. If he always needs to
eat something first, then you will just have to plan on that in your timing
and pacing of the ride. But you might try some other methods at some of the
local rides, to see if you can change the protocol for him at the vet
checks.

I was sure to grab some hay at the mornings Red Star ridge pulse check as we
left, and hand walk my horse out of that check as I  hand fed him for about
1/2 a mile or so as we walked along.  Thus, giving him something to eat, but
we were still making progress down the trail. I am not sure what other
riders do, but this worked for my horse (on that day). A ride like Tevis,
they do not have a lot of time to eat. There is not much grazing along the
trail, so I felt I needed to get food to him, every chance I got, but did
not feel I needed to always stand around idle in a pulse check as I did so.
He was relaxed while walking, and can walk and eat just fine.

I'd be curious to hear what others do at Tevis myself, as this was what I
felt worked for me, but maybe there are other methods or "game plans" that
might work better.

Metabolically, Gambler did wonderful all day...he just had the pesky limp at
Foresthill to call it a day for us.

And Monica...we will see you at Tevis next year....right???????

Jonni in TX