Re: [RC] hives - Chris Paus

Marlene,

It likely is hives. A good dose of liquid benedryl
will help immensely.

chris
--- Marlene Moss <marlene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi,
We've got a horse that has looked like she had lots
of fly bites on her
- little round bumps, mostly on her butt and neck.
Today it's much
worse - some of the bumps are palm sized and all
over both sides of her
neck and butt.  They are soft/fluid filled and don't
seem to be itchy.
The vet book we read said likely hives from an
allergic reaction to
pollen or something and really no point in doing
anything.

The horse did have a tough day yesterday.  She had
an injury earlier
this year and is just getting back into work.  We
had to trailer her out
of the mountains to find a good level area to ride
and it was really hot
and humid since it rained the day before.  Then the
trailer ride was not
fun, got stuck in construction traffic where it took
40 minutes to go 3
miles.  So a 1 hour drive turned into 2 with lots of
sitting in temps
around the mid 80's.

Then into our subdivision I got stuck behind the
water truck (having
already passed the road grader - our roads are a
disaster with all the
rain we've had) and couldn't make it up a hill w/o
going into 4 low -
after trying once in 4 high and then a failed jerk
when I ended up in
neutral on the way to 4 low.  So the horses got
jerked big a couple
times and they scrambled enough to shift the floor
mats.  They weren't
happy when I got them out of the trailer, but no
damage to legs or
anything.  Later this horse was slightly colicky -
laying down, elevated
respiration, body heat, no gut sounds.  I gave her
banamine and within
20 minutes her respiration was normal, body temp was
normal and gut
sounds were returning and she passed gas.  Pooped
about an hour later
and was very perky.

Any chance the stress, heat, colic, banamine is
related to the hives?
Anyone know of anything that can be done about an
allergic reaction like
this?  We just moved here last year and one of the
other horses had
hives last year but not this year.  The horse in
question just came here
over the winter so this is new to her.

And for reference, we live at 8800', west of
Colorado Springs in pines,
aspen, good grass, but lots of native weeds.

Thanks for any advice!
Marlene

Marlene Moss
www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com
www.mphr.org (Mustang Performance Horse Registry)
719-351-5037 (cell)
719-748-9073 (home)

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus