Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.1747 strategy for vet checks - Chipnml

For the past couple years in Minnesota we usually pulse down, do a trot-out, then do an "exit CRI" right before we leave for our next loop.  I like this since it gives the vet two chances to see my horse.  If a horse is getting stiff or starting to cramp, I feel it will show better at the exit when he's stood for awhile.  The vets also check gut sounds, dehydration and anal tone at the CRI.  Every area seems to have its slight differences, even between Minnesota and Wisconsin (but what can you expect? LOL).  Having never done Tevis (having never done any rides outside of Minnesota except for the occasional foray into Wisconsin!), I don't know how the checks are set up, but if possible, you could have hay, beet pulp etc right when you come in so he could get something to eat immediately.

Chip (hoping to make it to rides outside MN someday when my budget allows)