[RC] hives - Marlene Moss

Hi,

We’ve got a horse that has looked like she had lots of fly bites on her – little round bumps, mostly on her butt and neck.  Today it’s much worse – some of the bumps are palm sized and all over both sides of her neck and butt.  They are soft/fluid filled and don’t seem to be itchy.  The vet book we read said likely hives from an allergic reaction to pollen or something and really no point in doing anything.

The horse did have a tough day yesterday.  She had an injury earlier this year and is just getting back into work.  We had to trailer her out of the mountains to find a good level area to ride and it was really hot and humid since it rained the day before.  Then the trailer ride was not fun, got stuck in construction traffic where it took 40 minutes to go 3 miles.  So a 1 hour drive turned into 2 with lots of sitting in temps around the mid 80’s.

Then into our subdivision I got stuck behind the water truck (having already passed the road grader – our roads are a disaster with all the rain we’ve had) and couldn’t make it up a hill w/o going into 4 low – after trying once in 4 high and then a failed jerk when I ended up in neutral on the way to 4 low.  So the horses got jerked big a couple times and they scrambled enough to shift the floor mats.  They weren’t happy when I got them out of the trailer, but no damage to legs or anything.  Later this horse was slightly colicky – laying down, elevated respiration, body heat, no gut sounds.  I gave her banamine and within 20 minutes her respiration was normal, body temp was normal and gut sounds were returning and she passed gas.  Pooped about an hour later and was very perky.

Any chance the stress, heat, colic, banamine is related to the hives?  Anyone know of anything that can be done about an allergic reaction like this?  We just moved here last year and one of the other horses had hives last year but not this year.  The horse in question just came here over the winter so this is new to her.

And for reference, we live at 8800’, west of Colorado Springs in pines, aspen, good grass, but lots of native weeds.

Thanks for any advice!

Marlene

Marlene Moss

www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com