[RC] BB and clinics - oddfarm

Ed, You totally misread my post. TOTALLY.

I never said Mr. Hunt humiliated me, I said I was humiliated because I had done such a bad job to begin with. Would I take his clinic again? In a heartbeat. (Did I not stress how much respect I had for the man?) My point, Ed was that the truth sometimes hurts. It wasn't the teacher, it was me. Mr. Hunt is about as low key as they come and I think he, or any teacher worth his or her salt, would rather die than abuse a horse or human. I said he was, "blunt, but truthful". Not abusive and demeaning. Intimidating the human, doesn't help the horse one bit. Helping the horse is what it is all about, wouldn't you agree?

I really thought I did a decent job up until that clinic. Then, it was painfully clear to me that A) I was NOT a stallion handler, and B) Love is blind. Trust me when I say that my horse, (who was the only one handled personally by Mr. Hunt and a wonderful assistant by the name of Derrick all weekend long) learned more in those four days, than I was able to teach him in 2 years. My horse had the best experience and because of it,  his world was made a little bigger. That was my main goal for going in the first place. That, and the fact that I learned that I wasn't as smart as I thought and THAT Ed, was the most humiliating part. Now I be edjacated. Somewhat.

When I suggested a thick skin, I meant don't take things so personally. Just because the problems you came with were yours, and not the horses, doesn't make the instructor the bad guy or gal for pointing that out. You don't pay a small fortune for someone to coddle you at these clinics and tell you how pretty your horse is. You are there because you want to learn. Although when the teacher says, "The parents of this nice little colt oughta go to prison for spoiling him so bad!", I'll admit, it is hard NOT to cop an attitude. Prison was a little extreme. A day at boot camp would have sufficed. But I got the picture.

Maybe I've just got
more common sense than those people Lisa was referring
to.

I think you are absolutely right, Kristi. I am for any training, games, playing, whatever it takes to have a safe and sound ride. For both horse and rider. I didn't mean to imply that Parelli or any training method or philosophy is something for riders to stay away from. Again, just those lacking any common sense. And those people shouldn't have horses anyway. That goes for trainers, teachers and instructors as well. (How does a trainer have a horse for 3 or 4 months and the horse doesn't know how to load into a trailer????)

Come on people, let's not get sidetracked. I am not promoting or demoting any method. Just sharing my thoughts and experiences.  Sometimes, we forget what we thought we knew. Or we just ain't as smart as we think we are.

Don't deny your horse a better world for lack of YOUR education.

Lisa Salas, The odd farm