Re: [RC] BB and clinics - Ed & Wendy Hauser

 "...Once the cloak of humiliation lifted, I could see the light...."

Disclaimer:  I have never been to clinics by either of the gentlemen mentioned.  My comments only relate to learning and learning experiences.

The techniques of teaching humans described here sound a lot like the techniques used on horses by the old time "hit'em with a board", "put a running W on them" school of horse trainers.

Human learning is not optimized by humiliation, which is a form of abuse just as much as hitting a pupil with a whip is.

I personally was sure that I was terminally clumsy until I taught myself to ride when I was 25.  My school experiences in "physical education" consisted of large men with no necks hollering at me that I was doing a particular thing wrong.  The result was that I avoided sports, and read books instead.  I was taught reading by teachers who encouraged, praised and never humiliated their students.

I now know that if a Zen, low key, praise approach is used I can learn physical skills.

No one should feel bad if a teacher's style causes them distress.  They should just leave and never come back.  There is another teacher whose style will make them feel good, and thus learn much faster.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875