RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] [RC] I had a wonderful time. - Howard Bramhall - Howard Bramhall

Antonio, I have no idea. That was kind of the point I was trying to make.

The best definition I can attempt is that we are all quite different, with different views, different cultures, different religious beliefs (even the belief not to have one), and different thoughts on just about anything you can possibly come up with (like foreign sponsorship at an American endurance event). Heck, we can't even agree on what color code our fear factor should be for this day of the week, so, to agree on what American is, even if an American tries to answer that, is incredibly difficult.

I will say that I don't think those UAE folks who received the belt buckle would understand why some American voices are objecting to them receiving this buckle so strongly. I'm not sure if they know, since it might be hard to explain. How does one explain to them "American?" Especially, in this situation. This results in misunderstanding, on both sides.

What does seem to make America American is that we actually make the attempt to try and unite our differences under one banner. Quite often this seems to be some sort of mad experiment in futility, but, we do make the attempt. This is why our flag brings out such intense feelings that have been discussed recently, by some. That flag is that banner under which we all fall under, no matter how you feel about the flag. And, well, pardon this analogy, but, it does seem, to many "Americans," that the American flag should not ever be for sale. I feel that some Tevis riders are conflicted because they see their ride going up for sale the same way as some would feel about selling out our flag.

The price of the belt buckle was 35,000 dollars. How much for the flag? That is quite a leap, I know, but, it's the feeling I'm getting. I guess that's what I meant when I said understanding "American."

IF I lost you there, I'm sorry. I'm not even sure if your question to me was a sincere one, but, I tried to answer it just the same. I know there are others on this list who can define American much better than myself. If I can think of a better answer for you, I'll slip it in somewhere.

cya,
Howard (if this post cleared that up, for anyone,  I'd be amazed)

----Original Message Follows---- From: Antonio_Corbelletta@xxxxxx To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: RE: [RC] [RC] [RC] I had a wonderful time. - Howard Bramhall Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 13:53:45 -0700

If those UAE folks, the sponsors, who received that now infamous "sponsor" Tevis belt
buckle, knew how some folks felt, and, understood "American" (does anyone, even
Americans?),

Howard, C ould you please tell me what "American" means? I was just wondering since I was not born here in "America" what it means...You tell me... Tony

This message is intended only for the designated recipient(s). It may contain confidential or proprietary information and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege or other confidentiality protections. If you are not a designated recipient, you may not review, use, copy or distribute this message. If you receive this in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you.