[RC] Tevis Ceremony & Tribute - Mary Abbott

Jonni wrote:  I sat there wondering what Wendell would have thought of all
the attention given to the "sponsor" EMIRATES INTERNATIONAL ENDURANCE
VILLAGE all weekend.

Good question.  Maybe one of the old timers out there could take a guess for
us.  And you raised some good points about the buckle and other issues.
But, for the record, I'd like to state the reason I didn't even mention the
UAE folks in my original post about the ceremony is because they truly were
NOT the focus of attention.  Yes, they were recognized, but I want anyone
who wasn't there to realize that the 50th Ride, the trail, the horses, the
community's involvement (volunteers!) and Wendell Robie were the central
themes of the ceremony.

Of course, endurance folks are not the quiet type and always ready to voice
their opinions, and usually, it helps to improve upon and make things
"better."  This was exemplified even in response to the ceremony's
invocation.  I really was impressed when during his prayer, among the many
things he mentioned, the minister thanked God for trails.  I had never heard
that in a prayer before!  So it sounded good to me!  But then, after closing
his prayer, someone in the audience shouted out--what about the HORSES??!
And he added, oh yeah, and THANKS FOR THE HORSES!!  It was funny.  I think
he was pretty embarrassed that he had forgotten to mention the horses...  I
had never heard an "amended" prayer before, but good for him for fixin'
it--and whoever pointed out he needed to do so!  Amen to that, huh?!!