[RC] Tevis Ceremony & Tribute - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Jonni jonnij@xxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Mary wrote >>>I just wanted to compliment the Western States Trails Foundation
for the
excellent Tevis Cup awards ceremony held Sunday afternoon.  Besides
presenting the top 10 horses and honoring the "winners,"  tribute was paid
to Wendell Robie for establishing the Western States Trail Ride 50 years
ago.<<<<

I sat there wondering what Wendell would have thought of all the attention
given to the "sponsor" EMIRATES INTERNATIONAL ENDURANCE VILLAGE all weekend.
(then again, I wonder if he would have approved of that sponsership in the
first place)

At the awards presentation, they awarded the sponsor with a belt buckle just
like all the riders recieved, except it said "crown jewel sponsor" on it, then
the 1955-2004. Makes one think they sponcered the ride all those years. I was
sitting with a few riders who felt VERY hurt that they gave a buckle to someone
who 'bought it' instead of earning it with sweat and effort by riding the trail
with their horses. Give them a plaque or something, with a buckle maybe
inbedded in it, but don't cheapen the signifigance of the buckle(and the
efforts of the horse and rider to earn it) by giving it to anyone who puts up
enough money. And really, the $35,000 sponsorship is not a huge amount when you
look at how much it takes to put on that ride.

There were many riders and others involved in the ride who felt the ride "sold
out" by accepting that sponsorship.

Jonni