[RC] Tevis Ceremony & Tribute - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Jill McGee jmcgee1201@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Clearly, Mary Abbott & I did not sit at the same table during the Tevis awards
banquet!  The fact the UAE murals nearly covered one fence of the banquet area
and the circulation of UAE freebies was quite unavoidable to the group I was
with.  When the head of the UAE team announced that the winners and crew would
be sent on an expense-paid trip to the UAE endurance center, there was quite a
discussion of the fact that this was in direct violation of Tevis rules.  In
addition, all the T-shirts volunteers wore had a huge UAE endurance center logo
on the back!  Since no Tevis shirts were for sale (!) one didn't have the
option of NOT sporting the this sponsor's advertisement.  There was complete
outrage when a belt buckle was given in recognition of this sponsor's
contribution.  A friend of mine who had overcome huge personal obstacles to
complete Tevis had tears in her eyes as she pointed to the buckle she wore and
said "This MEANS something!"  She and many others I spoke with felt that their
accomplishments had been diminished by the "gift" of a buckle to the highest
bidder.  I asked another friend & Tevis finisher to assure this anguished lady
that her accomplishment had not been cheapened by the insensitive action of
some one at WSTF.  Her response was: "I can't do that.  Her Tevis completion
HAS been belittled!"  Hearing that this sponsor donated only $35,000 makes me
feel that Tevis sold out cheap.  Has any other donor ever been treated in such
a prominent manner?

Jill McGee
So. CA