Re[2]: [RC] Plastic Shoes More - Roger Rittenhouse

  I too have used the Vettec products Equi-Pak, the major problem I
have is keeping it in - that is it falls out shortly after it dries.
Seems the moisture  in the hoof soles/walls will not let it bond. Yes I
do use a heat gun to dry the sole, we dry before we put on the shoe.

I have tried just about anything that pulls water.. including  ether
(sp)  Good thing no one was smoking?  NOTHING I used to dry out the
foot worked. The pack fell out sometimes the same day sometimes the
next week.
The ONLY way I get the pack to stay in was using a screen mesh under
the shoe. I have used fiberglass screen and gutter guard plus the mesh
from vettec. This works but may over time work loose.
My shoer has not been able to figure out a good fix. My gang lives in
a bottom land area, and they go through a creek all the time.. no way
the foot will dry out.
And it is suppose to rain all this next week..

I have NOT had any major problems using the Luwex pads nor the
Shocktamers. I normally keep shoes on for 5 to 6 weeks. Clinches do not
raise up, nail holes do not appear to work open. My current shoer must
know how to get the shoe well set and the nails  tight. So did my past
2 shoers. Over the   20 plus years I have used pads of one form or
another  I have had very little problems. Lucky?

The reason I prefer to use a pad under  the shoe - even a rim pad is I
do not want steel direct on the hoof wall. It is just the way I want
to do it. I think it reduces concussion  and shock up the hoof and
the structures. I can tell the difference in the way they all travel
with and without pads. As long as the shoer  I use,  can get the shoes
seated and the nailed on using pads and they stay on, I will continue to use
them.  My shoer hot seats the shoes. Dont know if it means anything
since  he puts on a pad.. but the shoe and the hoof ground surface are matched
to fit.

The best shoe I use was  the Equithotic sneakers.  Alum plate with
plastic over it. Used them up north for many years. Did lots of
OD50/100 VA trails and rocky PA trails. Problem was they were slippery in grass
and the
mud here in the SE.  I am thinking about trying them again.. and go
slow in the mud rides. This shoe has great support. Although it was a
bit more work to put on.
My new shoer really likes to shoe for me
since I try the new stuff and he gets to learn about alternative
methods.. and what does or  does not work.. and I pay him to learn..

I have also had great luck with the MUSTAD Nail-Shu. Regular shoe
-alum with plastic.
I think my old mare has about 3000 miles in them. I am going to put them back
on the
old mare and maybe one other to let my shoer get used to them. Not
sure they offer enough support for my current working horse.

Roger Rittenhouse
www.vmaxept.com
pictures at http://ImageEvent.com/vmaxept
pictures at http://community.webshots.com/user/psdendurance