[RC] Plastic Shoes - Jennifer Layman

I just decided to give them a try.  I live in an extremely dry climate in Park City, Utah.  I have a mare wearing out iron shoes in 4 weeks.  I am lucky if the nail heads don't wear off and I can ride into the fifth week.  This is without endurance miles and only going out 2-4 times a week.  I live if very rocky country and I have to ride down a hard packed dirt/gravel road for 2miles each way from most trail heads.  Anyway... I am trying them because I am trying to fix something that is broke.  I want more growth before having to shoe.

I went with Hippoplast by Hoofit.  In my reading and studying of the different shoes I read that nail placement options were better (not sure I believe this after more review).   We put them on Tuesday and I have only had two short rides in them.  So far, so good.  I do feel she grabs a bit more (maybe too much).  Her stride feels a bit shorter especially down hill.

I promise to keep ridecamp update on our progress with them.  I am planning to take this mare to Virginia City 100, so I allowed enough time to switch back if I become unhappy.  she does have a very strong hoof wall and good foot.  It amazes me she keeps the steel  shoes when there is so little left of them.  So, we'll see.

Jennifer Layman, Sam Sam (often referred to as Damn Damn) and her new plastic shoes.

Do you Yahoo!?