FW: Re: [RC] [RC] Spooky Horse - Erin Clutter

Any advice for the spooky horse...well ive been riding my whole life and i know im no the oldest person on ridecamp, but i definately do know a lot about the "spooky" horse.

1. DO NOT do anything you are not comfortable doing! The horse can sense that you up tight!  You may start to tighten up on the bit or become real stiff and anxious.  Don't do that.  You need to be comfortable with your horse.

2. My father has always taught me that its definately NOT the smartest thing to go riding alone unless you have a quiet horse, and even that isn't the smartest thing b/c horses have minds of their own!  If you fall off and become hurt, well who knows how long people will take to noticed you haven't come back.  So if you do end up gettin the courage to take your spooky horse out, make sure someone knows your out.  take a cell phone and do check-ins with someone at the ranch or stable your at.

3. Work with your horse and spend lots of time with it even if its just walking it by a lead rope.  I've trained several horses for people.  Im 15 yr old, and ridden the calmest to just about the hottest headed arabs out there.  But i noticed that when i really got to know the horse and spent lots of just arena work with it, when i took it out on the trail it was a lot more calm.

Another great way to get your horse less spooky, is go hiking with it! I've done that several times!  i saddle up my horse, tie the stirrups up and go running with it on the ground.  I never even think about puttin my foot in the stirrup(even though i just do it to get myself in shape).  I noticed that helped a lot with my horse for it was out there alone, but the first couple times i wont be on the horse, ill be infront and i can sense what it spooks at and what makes it nervous, etc.

I have a horse the same way.  He is an 8 yr old arab gelding, and this is his first year of endurance for i jsut bought him last fall. He spooks, but most of all he BLOWS UP big time when left alone or when horses take off without him. At the beginning of a ride he is bucking and everyone REALLY then starts to notice the red ribbon in his tail, for he HATES horses running off and him not being with them at the front of the pack(i'd let him run with the top runners except he isn't in shape yet, maybe next year! haha).   I first had to do LOTS group training and every once in awhile a couple horses would leave the group.  I didn't start going off on the trail by myself with him until i could do a full 4-5 hour ride without one spook or anything.  I would meet people on the trail and have them pass and my horses didn't seem to mind, so i knew he was ready to go on his own. Then when i finally took him out on his own he definately was a lot more spooky,  he was VERY cautious, neighed at everything in sight.  The best advice i guess i have is to just go out and do it!  You won't get anywhere if you stay doing the same stuff and just riding w/ people.  Something that might help is going with a couple of horses(3+) and in the middle of the ride take off on your own.  That way if something does happen, you will atleast have someone some where on the trail out there.  But if your going to do anything trust your horse.  And if this mare of yours still blows up in the open fields, try taking her on single track roads(no cliffs edge trails at first!!).  Thats all the advice i can think of!  But i have had several horses I've trained and it did take some time for them to not blow up!  But it is very common in horses that are young or just inexperienced.  Maybe even try a busy endurance ride.  If you don't want to do the distance, but jsut train sign up for a very well known busy 25 mile ride.  Stay back, and have your horse watch the other horse s leave.  Then go at a slow pace, but for starters have someone with you.

~GOOD LUCK WITH YOU HORSE!

-erin

-Erin

Don?t just search. Find. Check out the new MSN Search! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=