Re: [RC] Spooky Horse - Chris Paus

I hate to say this, but if you are this concerned, it
sounds like you are overhorsed.

There are no quick fixes for spookiness. Steady and
calm rider eventually will result in a steady and calm
horse. How many wet saddle blankets it takes depends
on the horse.

Have you ruled out saddle and tack fit, your own
riding positions, your responses, etc., as reasons for
the blow ups?

I have found over the years that horses misbehave for
three main reasons.

1. they are in pain or at least discomfort.
2. they didn't understand what was asked of them.
Either there's a hole in their training, or a hole in
the rider's knowledge.
3. The horse was asked to do too much too soon. It
isn't ready mentally or physically for what is being
asked and needs more preparation.

It sounds as though you need to get some help with
this horse or find a quieter one. However, I do know
riders who are such nervous nellies, they could turn
the calmest animal into a blithering idiot. I'm not
saying that is you, so please don't take it that way.
But it happens.

I watch it with my own extremely quiet and safe
gelding who I use for lessons. He reacts to people in
different ways. The riders who come here and really
tune in to the horse and try their best, he does well
for, even when they makes mistakes.  Then there are
riders who come here all puffed up thinking they know
more than they do, or who like or even love horses but
just can't empathize with them. Zab doesn't have as
much tolerance for them and their mistakes.

chris

--- GoQuarterHorses@xxxxxxx wrote:

       Hi,
I have been having some problems conditioning my
horse, because I don't want
to ride her on the trail alone, because she has a
tendency to go nuts. I can
pretty much handle the spooks, but I don't think
it's a good idea to go on long
rides alone on a unpredictable horse. The ranch I am
at has a cross-country
course, which I would like to use, but my mare blows
up so often in the big
open fields, that it seems even more dangerous than
riding farther away. Does
anybody have any advice? Thanks!
Daisy

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus