Re: [RC] rasping - heidi

There is a point -
     "...check the outer wall for any unnatural growth irregularities.
This would include bulges, flares, unnatural wall angles, or any
other irregular growth salient which compromises the natural
conformation and functioning of the hoof.  These generally result
from insufficient natural wear of the outer wall, unnatural
trimming practices, and certain lamenesses such as laminitis.  They
are important to remedy since UNNATURAL GROWTH, in addition to
impacting hoof balance, the gaits, and the general comfort of the
horse, also INFLUENCES NEW GROWTH.  In this respect, working the
outer wall is tantamount to "aiming" the hoof and setting the stage
for an improved foundation for the horse to move upon." Jaime
Jackson - Horse Owners Guide to Natural Hoof Care   This is only
one of many well known and well respected hoof practitioners who
has spent many years studying the feet of wild and domesticated
horses.

Candace, we've already agreed that "unnatural" things should be balanced.
But once again, that isn't what th original poster was complaining about!
She was complaining that the farrier ALWAYS took the protective coating
off of the whole hoof, JUST TO TAKE IT OFF--nothing to do with balancing
the foot!  It is one thing to disturb it for the greater good of balancing
the foot--but more often than not, it is NOT necessary to do that, or if
it is, it is only necessary in a few areas.  There is NO justification for
removing it "just for the sake of taking it off"!!  And once one HAS the
foot balanced, it behooves one to leave it the heck alone, as much as
possible!  As another poster mentioned, it is common in show circles to
sandpaper the outer coating off of the hoof, and replace it with polish or
varnish, to get that "patent leather" sheen--another sacrifice of Mother
Nature for the whims of "presentation."

Shoot, I've got a colt here with a fractured leg that healed crooked, and
we have to rasp his hoof wall about halfway up one side, every 4-5 weeks,
to keep the thing as straight as we can.  I'm not arguing about shaping
feet here.  That point is well taken.  But I sure as heck am not going to
go around with the rasp and deprive the areas of his hooves that DON'T
need to be deprived of their natural coating!

I don't think  I ever said to rasp the entire hoof wall, IMO one should
never rasp the periople.  And, if there is flare at the bottom, the
thickness of the hoof wall at that flare goes up the hoof.  The wall
needs to be thinned in that area (below the periople) so that it will
grow in properly.

Aha!  That is the subject under discussion here, and is what I and others
were saying not to do.  That is what the farrier in question was doing.  I
don't think anyone was suggesting NOT to shape the foot if necessary.  But
the coating that grows down from the periople is there for a reason, and
to the extent that one CAN preserve that coating, the healthier the hoof
will be.

"Additionally, SHOEING can frequently correct the growth pattern if done
right--have done this more than once!  One shoes with the heel of the
shoe back where the heel of the hoof OUGHT to be, to give the foot
proper support--and after a few shoeings, one finds that the foot is
actually growing where it should be.  This also involves not putting in
the heel nail (unless the feet are quite large) so that there is
adequate expansion and contraction of the foot when it is in motion.
(We do this
anyway--even if the feet ARE already well-balanced.)"

And here I totally disagree with you.  But this forum is not about shoes
vs barefoot and I only spoke up because the question was about rasping.
Anyone that would like to know about riding barefoot can contact me
outside this forum and I will be happy to share my thought, results,
etc.

You can disagree--I can personally show you horses where it has worked.  I
am riding one now that has had his feet completely normalize after 18
months of shoeing him by leaving the shoe out where the hoof wall should
have been.  By placing a support there, the foot grew to that point.
Previously, his heel was contracted on one side--and no amount of barefoot
trimming would change it, because simply trimming did not put a support
out where it was needed.  It is not an uncommon thing, and can be done by
any farrier that truly understands hoof balance.  (And while the thread is
about rasping, the forum deals with how best to handle our horses so that
they have maximal soundness and health.)  FWIW, the above horse now also
continues to grow normally when barefoot--something he had never done
before.  (And he is in his teens...)

As to barefoot--I'm a proponent of leaving horses barefoot as long as
possible, and only shoeing when hoof wear exceeds hoof growth, on normal
horses.  That said, when one approaches either shoeing OR barefooting with
the zeal of a religion, one often fails to see the benefits that can be
provided by the other.  If you are serious about hoof care, you are
willing to consider both, and consider which is best for the given horse
in the given circumstances.  Don't knock success in getting horses "right"
with shoes--sometimes that is the

"I agree--and part of that stewardship is not interrupting nature any
more than it already is--but rather trying to return the foot to the
functionality that it WOULD have in a better setting.  Retaining as much
of the protective coating is a part of that."

I disagree -- again a quote from Jaime Jackson -
    "...in the thousand or so wild hooves I have examined....the
thickness is the same [around entire hoof]...For me, this is ample
justification to abrade the outer wall, either all at once if
possible, or gradually in multiple trimming sessions, until such
time that all unnatural growth irregularities are removed.  Another
objection one commonly hears in conventional hoof care circles is
that we shouldn't be rasping or "thinning" the outer wall at all.

Interesting, though--even your source suggests doing this only as long as
necessary--not forever.

That this removes the periople, causing the hoof not only to
dehydrate, but to weaken from the loss of horn...Again, evidence
from our wild horses -- and, ever important, practical experience --
proves that neither concern is justified."

Most wild horses I've examined (and it's been a pretty fair number) have
the periople and the coating intact at least partway down the hoof.  Which
suggests to me that it was intended to be there...

And "practical experience" would also certainly suggest otherwise--hooves
deprived of all coating often require extensive care until the coating can
grow at least partially back down.

Heidi