Re: [RC] rasping - Candace Kahn

Hi Heidi

"While I agree that rasping near the bottom of the foot may be necessary, there is no point in robbing the hoof of the protection afforded it by the natural coating."

There is a point -
     "...check the outer wall for any unnatural growth irregularities.  This would include bulges, flares, unnatural wall angles, or any other irregular growth salient which compromises the natural conformation and functioning of the hoof.  These generally result from insufficient natural wear of the outer wall, unnatural trimming practices, and certain lamenesses such as laminitis.  They are important to remedy since UNNATURAL GROWTH, in addition to impacting hoof balance, the gaits, and the general comfort of the horse, also INFLUENCES NEW GROWTH.  In this respect, working the outer wall is tantamount to "aiming" the hoof and setting the stage for an improved foundation for the horse to move upon." Jaime Jackson - Horse Owners Guide to Natural Hoof Care
     This is only one of many well known and well respected hoof practitioners who has spent many years studying the feet of wild and domesticated horses.

>And, IMO, if a horse has a long toe, if you just take the toe
> back without rasping down the wall, the toe will continue to grow
> long [and thick].  By rasping the hoof wall one takes off the
> excess and that will begin to allow the hoof to take a better form.

"Um, only up to a point.  And again, this involves rasping the flare off
the bottom--NOT removing the protective coating from the entire hoof wall,
as the original poster was describing.  Additionally, one accomplishes
this by LEAVING heel (once one has undershot heel trimmed off) and
trimming back the toe, a little more each time, until the foot comes back
under itself.  Again, this involves only rasping hoof wall off of perhaps
the lower quarter of the toe--NOT the entire surface of the hoof!"

I don't think  I ever said to rasp the entire hoof wall, IMO one should never rasp the periople.  And, if there is flare at the bottom, the thickness of the hoof wall at that flare goes up the hoof.  The wall needs to be thinned in that area (below the periople) so that it will grow in properly.

"Additionally, SHOEING can frequently correct the growth pattern if done
right--have done this more than once!  One shoes with the heel of the shoe
back where the heel of the hoof OUGHT to be, to give the foot proper
support--and after a few shoeings, one finds that the foot is actually
growing where it should be.  This also involves not putting in the heel
nail (unless the feet are quite large) so that there is adequate expansion
and contraction of the foot when it is in motion.  (We do this
anyway--even if the feet ARE already well-balanced.)"

And here I totally disagree with you.  But this forum is not about shoes vs barefoot and I only spoke up because the question was about rasping.  Anyone that would like to know about riding barefoot can contact me outside this forum and I will be happy to share my thought, results, etc.

>  It is far more complicated than that, but my whole point was that
> it is not a bad thing to rasp the wall.  Since Mother Nature can
> not intervene in most cases, we have to as stewards of our horses.

"I agree--and part of that stewardship is not interrupting nature any more
than it already is--but rather trying to return the foot to the
functionality that it WOULD have in a better setting.  Retaining as much
of the protective coating is a part of that."

I disagree -- again a quote from Jaime Jackson -
    "...in the thousand or so wild hooves I have examined....the thickness is the same [around entire hoof]...For me, this is ample justification to abrade the outer wall, either all at once if possible, or gradually in multiple trimming sessions, until such time that all unnatural growth irregularities are removed.  Another objection one commonly hears in conventional hoof care circles is that we shouldn't be rasping or "thinning" the outer wall at all.  That this removes the periople, causing the hoof not only to dehydrate, but to weaken from the loss of horn...Again, evidence from our wild horses -- and, ever important, practical experience -- proves that neither concern is justified."

Happy Trails Everyone,

candy
Candace Kahn
Naturally Bare Hoof Care
www.boaboots.com
authorized dealer of Boa Hoof Boots, Barefoot Treeless Saddles,
Supracor and Equipedic Saddle Pads, Best Friends Grazing Muzzle
Painted Sky Ranch
PO Box 639
Jacksonville, OR 97530
541-899-0149