RE: [RC] rasping - Candace Kahn

Sorry Heidi,
     While I agree with a lot of what you say, I was primarily addressing my comments about rasping to those riders whose horses are not fortunate enough to be barefoot and not fortunate to have enough land on which to naturally wear their feet.  Most domesticated horses are shod, live in stalls or smallish pastures with few to no rocks in their fields and therefore their feet need attention.  And, IMO, most horse owners are totally ignorant of the mechanics of the hoof and have to rely on their farrier and vets for information.
     Many, many horses have long toes [many of them endurance horses] so according to you there are many, many ignorant farriers out there.  But that is another whole discussion.
     You said Mother Nature has good ideas and I totally agree and that is why my horses are barefoot.  However, as I stated previously most horses don't have the opportunity to let Mother Nature assist so we have to.  And, IMO, if a horse has a long toe, if you just take the toe back without rasping down the wall, the toe will continue to grow long [and thick].  By rasping the hoof wall one takes off the excess and that will begin to allow the hoof to take a better form.  It is far more complicated than that, but my whole point was that it is not a bad thing to rasp the wall.  Since Mother Nature can not intervene in most cases, we have to as stewards of our horses.

candy

Candace Kahn
Naturally Bare Hoof Care
www.boaboots.com
authorized dealer of Boa Hoof Boots, Barefoot Treeless Saddles,
Supracor and Equipedic Saddle Pads, Best Friends Grazing Muzzle
Painted Sky Ranch
PO Box 639
Jacksonville, OR 97530
541-899-0149