Re: [RC] Jiggy on the Trail. Need Suggestions... - darste3

All of the things you said you have tried will work. But, as with anything, you
have to be willing to spend the time doing them until it does work. You have to
have more focus than
the horse. And, it doesn't hurt to have a brideg or "yes" signal to tell the
horse that he has made the right choice by walking followed by a treat or a
moment of eating grass on the trail.

I've included in this post the one I have used the most and works really well.
However, it does require blowing the ride or leaving your friends to focus on
the behaviour. And, it really takes focus when youare tired. Just stay with the
program. > > get it,

Head the other direction from the way she wants to jig when she flat walks
reward her with a moment of eating grass or a treat of carrot or whatever
she likes. Turn and go the way she had previously been jigging. Try to
reward her before she starts to jig again. If you expect her to jig in 3
steps, stop and reward her in two. I like to let them eat grass at this
point or if you have no grass carry carrots or grain. If you miss it and he
starts to jig, turn around again. Be prepared to do this all day long. And,
one day or one ride may not cure it. But, it will work. >>

<<As soon as she starts jigging, walk in a circle. Be sure your mindset is one
that is "oh, you've just asked me to ask you for circles" rather than one of
punishing the jig. As soon as the circle becomes calm (remember your mindset or
it won't become calm) reward with a moment of grass eating or treat and go the
opposite way. Reward again before allowing her to continue on the original way.

Dolores