[RC] Big Horn - Truman Prevatt

The Big Horn discussion got me thinking. Frank made a comment that the solution to a lot of the problems is permanent  markers - to which Cindy said the FS has problems with that.

On the other the AERC have spent tons on money at Ft. Stanton matched 10 to 1 by the BLM. Some AERC BOD members have justified this (at least partially) claiming how this has generated a working relationship with the BLM that will help us with all US Government agencies. It may be time to test that claim.

The Big Horn to my understanding is the oldest continuously sanctioned AERC ride. The Big Horn is historically significant to the AERC and all endurance riders. The Big Horn is worth perserving as an endurance ride all can look forward to doing - not just those that can afford the latest version of a GPS that can download waypoints from someone's laptop.

Any organization worth it's salt perserves it's history. The AERC needs to perserve it's history. We are losing 100's at an alarming rate - do we want to lose the longest continously sanctioned AERC 100? I don't - how about you?

I would suggest that the AERC figure out how to call in a chit get the FS to work with the BH folks to get the critical portions of the trail marked with permanent markers. If the AERC really has a chit it is time to use it. I would suggest that the AERC fund this project with a trails grain.

I would also suggest that the BH folks try to figure out how to make their ride a little more "desirable." When the OD figured out how to make the 50 a loop instead of point to point - the number of riders in the 50 skyrocketed as did the revenues from the 50. It's a two way street. If the AERC is going to invest good-will in the Big Horn and invest trails money, the BH should work to make the ride - at least the 50 more accessible to the riders that don't have the support staff to do a point to point but would like to ride do the ride. It has worked for the OD - it can work for the Big Horn.

Truman

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."