[RC] Rasping - Candace Kahn

Our domesticated horses have life too easy and that is the reason we must trim their feet.   Steady trimming activates growth, thickening and hardening just as hard wear would.  Wild horses trim their own feet which includes abrading the hoof wall.  As someone mentioned, a horses hoof should be a straight from the coronet band to the ground.  If you look at the top 1/2 inch of the hoof from the coronet band the hoof tells you how it wants to grow.  Unfortunately I see too long toes all the time on shod horses.  As the toes get long the force pulls the wall away from the laminae.  [Imagine taking your finger nail and pushing down on a hard surface bending the nail away from the nail bed - that is what is happening to the hoof wall and the lamina].  In response, the wall thickens and a vicious cycle begins.  Rasping the wall of the hoof is a good thing.  It does not harm the wall in any way.  It does not cause dryness and, hoof dressing, in my opinion, is totally unnecessary.  There are many wonderful sites filled with information about good hoof form.  If anyone is interested please email me and I will be happy to provide those to you.

candy

Candace Kahn
Naturally Bare Hoof Care
www.boaboots.com
authorized dealer of Boa Hoof Boots, Barefoot Treeless Saddles,
Supracor and Equipedic Saddle Pads, Best Friends Grazing Muzzle
Painted Sky Ranch
PO Box 639
Jacksonville, OR 97530
541-899-0149