Re: [RC] Rasping - heidi

Our domesticated horses have life too easy and that is the reason we
must trim their feet.   Steady trimming activates growth, thickening and
hardening just as hard wear would.  Wild horses trim their own feet
which includes abrading the hoof wall.  As someone mentioned, a horses
hoof should be a straight from the coronet band to the ground.  If you
look at the top 1/2 inch of the hoof from the coronet band the hoof
tells you how it wants to grow.  Unfortunately I see too long toes all
the time on shod horses.  As the toes get long the force pulls the wall
away from the laminae.  [Imagine taking your finger nail and pushing
down on a hard surface bending the nail away from the nail bed - that is
what is happening to the hoof wall and the lamina].  In response, the
wall thickens and a vicious cycle begins.  Rasping the wall of the hoof
is a good thing.  It does not harm the wall in any way.  It does not
cause dryness and, hoof dressing, in my opinion, is totally unnecessary.

Sorry, Candy, but while it is true that the hoof is naturally abraded all
the time, the covering on the hoof wall nonetheless comes down in varying
degrees over the hoof, depending on the conditions and on how healthy the
hoof is to begin with.  It is pretty well gone on dry, cracking hooves,
and can be seen intact nearly to the ground on healthy hooves.

With regard to too-long toes on shod horses--yes, this can be the case
with ignorant farriers.  It can also be the case with horses that simply
don't grow heel--and yes, they exist, even in the natural state.  My own
mares run out about as naturally as possible, wearing their feet in
natural conditions, and rarely require trimming.  Several of them have
absolutely gorgeous feet, with at most occasional minor chipping around
the edges that evens back out.  A few less well endowed DO have issues
with underslung heels, and their toes grow too long, just as you describe.
When they DO break off, as a result, it isn't a nice even wear, as it is
on the better-footed mares.  And these are the ones who need occasional
help from the farrier to stay healthy.

I can see the intact layer over the hoof wall on all but a handful of my
running-out-barefoot horses.  And they run in dry, wet, rocks,
you-name-it, depending on the season of the year.  I actually think it is
far more apt to be gone when conditions are too wet--I see it better in
summertime when it is dry and rocky and they are abrading the heck out of
their feet.

Mother Nature still has some pretty good ideas--and it pays to figure out
WHY she has those ideas before one messes with them.  When one understands
that, then one can do much more to help a horse get BACK to that state, be
it by trimming or whatever.

Heidi