[RC] Alfalfa in his water at a ride? - Nina Vasiliev

Hello,

First, some info...

My horse doesn't fret at ridecamp. He is completely under control after the first mile or two at a ride; and even at the beginning listens to me pretty well...But at the last few rides I brought water from home in new triangular water tanks, the kind that strap into your tack room, and he didn't drink a drop.

At the first ride it was a bit rainy. The next ride was warm.

Now, he did drink from the public troughs that ridecamp had put out on ride day, but not a drop while tied to the high tie at our trailer, even at night. I did e-lyte him before we left for ridecamp. The journey was just 2 hours. I e-lyted again the night before and then the morning of the ride, and at lunch...He doesn't drink before 15 miles of the ride, but then is pretty good. He had good hydration as per the vets, but to me, he looked "sucked" up at the end of the ride. I walked him over to the public troughs every hour or so and he tanked up there. But not at the trailer.

At home I board him and he gets fed Rye hay. I add beet pulp, one lb of SMF super supplement, biotin, flax seed, oil and salt. He gets extra hay a few days before the ride and I really salt his beet pulp in hopes that he will come to the ride hydrated.

At one of the early vet checks, before he normally drinks, one of the riders added Alfalfa to the trough and Ramere ate up the soggy hay, and drank a touch. So my question is...

Can I add a bit of alfalfa to his water bucket at my trailer, or since he doesn't usually get it at home is that asking for trouble? If I can add it, keeping in mind that I am in a hot area, should I dump the water if the alfalfa has been in soaking over night? Or if it's been in the water waiting for us to come in after the ride?

He's never been a great drinker, but this season he's gotten more picky.

Thanks,

Nina Vasiliev