Re: [RC] feeding pregnant mares - heidi

Hello all!  I need some advice. My mare and I are having our first foal,
I'm  so excited, but also a newbie to foaling. What should or shouldn't
I feed her  as she progresses through pregnancy? She's only 18 days into
it right now. Are  there things known to abort fetuses? Are their
pregnant mare deficencies?  I've got her on ABC Reg's cutom mix,
alfalfa/grass hay, selenium (we're in the  NW) and msm, and corn oil.
Thanks!

I've been slow getting caught up on mail this past week...

I'd concur with those who have said not to do anything differently for the
first two trimesters than you would for a healthy riding horse.  Good
quality hay, and balanced minerals.  And yes--selenium because of where
you live.

That said, many recommend mare/foal pellets, etc. for late gestation and
lactation.  I'll differ from that.  If you have QUALITY hay (or pasture)
and it is free choice, and if you have mineral deficiencies covered, I
much prefer NOT to feed any concentrate.  I will qualify that statement by
saying that I do believe that Arabs are more efficient than some other
breeds, so this may not work for all.  (As I recall, you have an Appy--but
isn't she also a distance horse, and did you say she was part-Arab, or
not?)  In any event, I've found that I actually keep BETTER weight on my
mares with NO concentrates, and have less problems in the foals.  The #1
cause of degenerative joint problems in young growing horses is too many
calories.  Not mineral imbalance, not protein excess or deficiency
(alhtough those are also issues)--but just plain and simple too many
calories.  To that end, I DON'T want my mares to milk like Jersey cows--I
want them to milk adequately, but not so that they overwhelm baby.
Additionally, concentrates will cause more milk production often at the
expense of the mare's own health.  A healthy mare milking moderately so
that baby grows steadily but not overly fast is the goal when one is
aiming to raise future athletes.

Additionally, there are many folks (myself included) who are convinced
that early forage feeding is essential to full development of the hindgut.
Most of our babies are already nibbling mom's hay at just a few days of
age, and that is what we WANT them to learn to eat efficiently!  Most are
chowing right down on hay and pasture by a few weeks of age.  The key is
the QUALITY of the forage--but one CAN find hays that meet the protein
requirements of growing youngsters (without feeding pure alfalfa--although
in many areas an alfalfa/grass mix is appropriate, including here in the
NW, where you are).

Every time I've tried a mare/foal concentrate or a "junior" product, I've
had cause to regret it.  And I spent too many years in practice dealing
with epiphysitis in all the halter youngsters being fed such products to
care to repeat that in my own horses.

Just my nickel's worth...

Heidi