[RC] last post on AHA Letter until response from AHA - Bette Lamore

Today I am sending the Letter off to AHA with 116 signatures. I delayed as long as I felt I could to get more signatures and I am happy with the final tally. Wow! That is a lot of support!
I will post any response I get back for all to see.
Thanks for the support of those who signed :-)
Bette
PS Below is the note I attached with the letter, if you are interested. Please note, I mention in the letter that the AHA just called me today and wants to run a story of Bunny in their Oct-Nov issue. Remember, all you ridecampers figure prominently in Bunny's story and the two things the story will bring out is the heart of the Arabian and the hearts of ridecampers who reached out to him with love and support!!! Perhaps my next step is to try to get the story into the Arabian Horse World that comes out quarterly and is sold at Borders and Barnes and Noble. Anyone have any connections??? Then perhaps more people will see the Arabian in a different light!

Mr. Jim Benedict, Special Services

Arabian Horse Association

10805 E. Bethany Drive
Aurora, Colorado 80014

Hello Jim

I belong to an international email list called ridecamp which is mainly comprised of endurance and limited distance riders. A hot topic came up about AHA and how the organization as a whole does not support trail riding and distance riding to the degree of its support of the Show classes. Also there was some bitterness about the politics in the show ring and the practice of trainers who are showing also being judges (i.e. showing under each other). In addition there was a concern about the portrayal of the Arabian as a crazed snorting fool in stead of a wonderful family horse.

I realize that the AHA is trying to change many of these policies and, in fact, AHA became a Platinum sponsor of AERC during the circulation of this letter. You folks received accolades for this support. Furthermore, just today I was contacted about putting my horse’s heartwarming story in the magazine --- certainly a giant departure from the images of snorting stallions. I mentioned your features of personal stories on your web site as a great start in changing some of the negative images of the Arabians. Hopefully Bunny’s story on HorseTV and in magazines will allow others to see the wonderful heart of the Arabian.

Although many have given up on AHA and in fact have let their membership lapse, many of us felt it would be worthwhile to let you hear these complaints as well as the many good suggestions from ridecamp. I put them into a letter to you (attached) and put the letter on the internet so that ridecampers could endorse if they agreed. Not only were there many supporters in ridecamp, but members sent the link to other chat rooms and friends around the US. Thus far there are over 100 signatures and I have many, many emails of support for the requests and suggestions in this letter. I cannot take credit for this letter; it was a group project with much input. I printed it with the signatures off the internet and trust you to see it gets in the right hands.

True, I could have just forwarded it to the committee for promotion of the breed, but, not knowing anyone personally, I could not be sure it would be seen by those who might be so inclined as to act on the letter or at least respond to it. You have always been so helpful in the past and had such great follow-through; I know I can trust you to get this into the right hands.

Please read the attached letter with the idea in mind that it is not a condemnation of AHA, but rather an appreciation for some of the changes enacted thus far and a plea for more, with some possible suggestions. Thank you for any help you can give to the undersigned. As you can see, we love and support our breed and your efforts will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Bette Lamore, et al

-- Bette Lamore Whispering Oaks Arabians Home of Bunny and 16.2h TLA Halynov who lives on through his legacy Hal's Riverdance! http://www.arabiansporthorse.com

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)