Re: [RC] [RC] Horse Buying/Selling - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Be careful that we do not lose sight of the fact that our society is a
capitalist one.  Any item is worth only what a willing buyer will pay a
willing seller.  That is independent of how long we want the item to last or
how much money has been invested before we purchase.  Why should I pay more
than market just because a seller wants a lot of money because he/she has
spent time or money on a horse?

There are exceptions to the rule, but I don't see endurance horses fitting
into the exceptions in the lifetime of any ridecamper.

1. If someone can corner most of the worlds supply, they can set the price.
The only thing I know like this is DeBeers and diamond prices.  Even in
diamonds, their monopoly seems to be weakening now.
2. If you are selling romance, sex or prestige.  French perfume is the
classic example.  It isn't the smell, it is the name on the bottle.
3. If the price is so low that most potential customers conclude that the
item can not possibly be as advertised.

The problem is that anyone with a mare and a few dollars for a stud fee can
breed a horse.  Since much of the success of an endurance horse is not the
genes, but the careful conditioning and intelligent riding, many of these
horses will develop into good or excellent endurance horses.  This keeps the
price of all endurance horses down.

Since endurance is open to all equines, we can't even produce an artificial
scarcity by saying that only certain bloodlines, bred naturally can compete.
(TB racing has done this very successfully for a hundred years.)

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875