Re: [RC] [RC] Horse Buying/Selling - Lif Strand

At 04:54 PM 7/19/2004, Nancy Mitts wrote:
As long as we brag about $500 world champions and champions off the killer truck, that's all there will be to choose from.

That's an interesting point. I have been mulling around in my head that this all is connected with how endurance riding started, who was involved back then. People brought what horses they already had to a ride. Rides were quite the social events - there was a lot of late night partying, some rides had dances after the ride that lasted till the wee hours. You got to rides as early as you could so you could join up with your friends that you might only see at rides, some stayed till late in the day on Sunday visiting and maybe recovering from a hangover. I don't think in those days people even thought about horses that were bred for endurance.

Maybe since that's how it all got started, that's why horses aren't the focal point yet for expenditures. On the other hand, I, myself, figure that when I have a horse I'm going to campaign, I plan on riding it for as many years as I can. To me, paying a lot for a horse of that sort is not unreasonable. I'd rather pay $10,000 for a horse I could ride for 10 or 15 years or even more, than $1000 every few years for a new horse, because when I ride endurance, I ride with a partner. I don't do divorce well.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA