Re: [RC] fractured splint bone - Barbara McCrary

I had a gelding that fractured an inside front  splint bone.  I took him to UC Davis for surgery, he healed fine and went on to compete successfully.  I think your vet is right, it's not a big deal.  At least mine wasn't.

Barbara McCrary
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, July 19, 2004 3:39 PM
Subject: [RC] fractured splint bone

My 7 year old gelding has suffered an injury to the left hind leg outside splint bone.  About 4 inches above the fetlock.  There are 2 fractures, one is healing well and the other, about an inch lower, is not healing at all.  My local vet has told me that the horse needs surgery to remove both pieces of bone, and that the surgery is not a "big deal".  He also said that if there is no infection, that he stands a good chance of working back up to competition in a few months.
Does anyone have any experience with this surgery in a competition horse?  Please, no horror stories.  I'm heartbroken and devastated already.  I do want to know about chances for a full recovery back to competition.

Maris Ramsay

horses--the anti-drug