Re: [RC] the healing process and proud flesh - Karen Sullivan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Proe" <trails@xxxxxxxxx>
As I was doing the Hydro one day, to my surprise and awe', I observed a two
and a half inch by 6 " piece by 3/4" part of Troopers leg peel off and fall
to the ground.

Thanks to all that responded on this thread...I am finding it very
interesting and also
probably adjusting my treatment......it does sound like my daugthers Arab
developed
healthy tissue relatively soon after the injury...and no indications at all
of proud flesh...
I think the major worries are keeping it clean, flies off and from getting
bonked somewhere;
but I will avoid the wonderdust from now on.

But, here is a question to the vets, in particular.

This was what I observed from a really bad accident to a horse down the
road; I was called
to come help "wrap the horse."  Apparently the horse was run into a very
sharp corner of a
broken feeder by another horse.  It appeared the initial impace was to the
top of the forearm.....then the
poor guy spun around and somehow managed to cut/tear enoug of the skin in a
circle that the entire
skin fell down and was bagged down the knee when I saw the horse.......the
owners just thought it could
be "wrapped" until healed....but I insisted this was an emergency situation
(call vet right now!)  and helped slowly move
horse in shade...and attempted to gently slide skin back up....and wrap,
mainly to keep flies off until vet could
be called. Horse seemed shocky.....but appeared to have some relief when
skin was slid back in place and
slightly pressure wrapped.  My opinion was it needed stitching, no
questions........

Well.....vet came out and expressed no real hope this could heal without
some expensive skin grafts, a lot of
antibiotics, wrapping.....over course of 6 months to year.......so owners
opted to put him down on spot, which
at least ended his misery.......

But I wondered about this, and later asked my own vet why an injury like
this could not at least be stitched since
it looked fairly clean and no big patches of skin missing......she explained
that all small arteries and veins in skin
had been severed.....so all circulation to skin in bottom part of leg would
be compromised.....

Same vets also told me, in case of bad emergency lacerations....that if you
can staunch blood flow...and keep wound
moist (with antibiotic ointment)....that you basically have 24 hours to get
ahold of a vet to stitch closed....

My 5 year old got a kick to the side of the knee that left a very clean 1
1/2 inch laceration, horizontal......it looked like
two simple stitches would have closed it......well, it was Sat. right after
vet closed.....soonest I could have had stitches would have been sometime
Monday.....I opted to just keep clean, wrapped, etc.....well.....3 weeks
into this, still not totally healed...it will probably always now have small
scar; I do believe if I had paid huge emergency fee to get vet out after h
ours this thing would have been stitched and healed without any scar by
now!!!!.....wishing I had done it now and paid whatever the cost.  .  Had I
had any kind of anesthetic and know-how to do it, I could have probably
taken two stitches myself and have been done with it....all

Karen
hindsight.....

Hope this makes sense, can any vets comment?
Karen