Re: [RC] the healing process and proud flesh - Steven Proe

Hi Folks; This is what I have done after Trooper jumped a 4 foot Boulder at
the top of Squaw Peak on Tevis.

After Trooper "We" pulled this little stunt, I still recall asking him,
"How" we got away with that jump. He was fine until Robinson Flat, where we
were pulled as he was off a little. I could not find what was hurting him
nor could the ride vet's (But again they didn't have a bunch of time at
Robinson). I took my Partner back home and used a hose to hydro his legs,
still showed a little off for a week.
All of this time I was treating with Hydro and a poultice as the Right rear
was the injured leg just above the fetlock. I also was giving him Penicillin
injections as a precautionary treatment as there was swelling and heat.

I hydro'd him three times a day and changed the light wrap each time and a
poultice at night for a week.

As I was doing the Hydro one day, to my surprise and awe', I observed a two
and a half inch by 6 " piece by 3/4" part of Troopers leg peel off and fall
to the ground.

Apparently we smacked it on the boulder and it had caused this part of his
leg to sustain a major injury that then Necropsied.

I could see all the way inside of Troopers leg with all of the associated
parts it was as if I was looking at one of the Charts on the Wall in a
Doctors and Vet's office as well as many reference book's.

After I recovered from this shock, (Trooper didn't flinch at all). I
continued the hydro treatment, except now I was using after the initial
hydro, with cold water. ( This appears to actually work to suppress any
nerve pain) as I did not use any type of medication to sedate trooper. It is
my opinion that when you sedate, it may allow the "patient to feel better
that they really are and they may be more active(read!,cause additional
injury)).

I then used a solution of dilute bedine and a little dose of salt dissolved
in the solution. ( I recall that one time I mixed salt in either the
bedadine or iodine and used too much and it ruined the solution) sorry I
can't recall this part but no big deal, use less salt and all is well.

I used this solution and a piece of terry cloth that had a rough texture to
use as a light abrasive daily to scrub any Proud flesh that started to form
daily. I would use the terry cloth daily to remove any appearance of proud
flesh that was appearing. I debreaded the impacted area until I could see
the new pink flesh that was lightly oozing/weeping blood. You are able to
see this happening in my/our case on a daily basis( the new skin filling in
the effected area), it appears that none of the tendons or ligaments or
other internal leg parts were impacted.

After a month of this treatment with a light wrap to keep the wound clean
all was well. ( After the first week I progressively applied more pressure
on the wound area to keep that area from swelling ). I had noticed that this
swelling,was occurring and my vet had suggested this treatment. It worked
just fine.

Trooper after that "Accident" has won some rides, finished Tevis twice and
is still a wonderful Sound partner.

I hope this helps, each injury is different but in my case this has been
what worked for us. Troopers right rear leg is a little larger and if you
look close you can see that the hair has grown in as if he has had a bad
hair transplant.

Steven Proe