[RC] winter feeding, rainsheets, etc - Wendy Mancini

    I'm on the NJ coast & don't get temps below 20 very much but it does hang between 20 & 30 F most of Jan & Feb.  Then we have that wet air & often cold rain.  Many years ago I was told that when the temp goes below 30 up the hay a flake or 2 per day.  So for years that's exactly what I've done & never have a weight problem.  I also know by whether there is any hay left over from Am or PM feeding & it is true, when the temp is below 30 they eat more & when the temp is up they just don't eat the extra.
    As for rainsheets/blankets - never used a blanket until a few years ago when I bought a couple of Weatherbeta rainsheets.  These are the greatest things.  The pastures at the barn I board at have no shelter & when there's a cold north wind it just rips across.  I used to have to bring my guys in if it rained.  Now, no matter what the weather they can be out.  They have heavy coats so I only put the sheets on for rain or really cold days with strong wind.  I know they work great because instead of 5 horses huddled in a corner of the field, backs to the wind & heads tucked,  I have 5 horses moving around, playing, grazing etc. no matter what the weather.   Also, I never go to a ride without that rainsheet.  I'm sure it's made the difference a couple times in preventing chills & cramps when camping at a cold, rainy ride.
    As for plastic horseshoes, I've put over 200 mi on a set of Ground Controls & there's still plenty of shoe.

Wendy Mancini