RE: [RC] Sled Dogs and Endurance riders - Dolores Arste

I owned and raced sled dogs for some 15 years before getting into long
distance riding. My huband raced an additional 10 years before I met him.
If anyone would like to write privately, I'd be happy to discuss the myths
and realities. Or, if its appropriate on this list that would be fine too.
Winterdance is a great book on the subject and an easy read.

You may be interested to note that we stopped racing dogs due to our
injuries. My knees gave out and my husbands wrists gave out. Both required
surgeries to get comfortable. You may be surprised to note that the injuries
made it hard for us to handle the dogs when the were excited.

I used the experience I gained training and racing dogs to train my first
compitive 100 mile horse. My husband used his experience to get into Ultra
marathoning. Mammals are mammals from a muscle and circulation standpoint.

I can heartily agree that the relationship is everything. The tethers at the
kennel are usually 6 foot and give more room to move than most kennel runs.
And, additionally, they give the dogs the opportunity to play with three of
their neighbors rather than being isolated or with one other dog. They are
not usually tethered to their house but rather to a stake in the middle of a
circle. The house is at the end of one point on the circle. It also allows a
dog to have the privacy he or she wants when they want it. They are not
forced to be with another dog. At the raced they are tethered short to the
truck mostly due to space. One dog truck and 40 dogs is a lot of space to
need. And, you don't want them to get tangled.

I'm sure you have all experienced the excitement of your horses before a
race. You have never seen anything until you see a kennel of 80 dogs young
and old screaming to go when you bring out the "tack". Its bedlam. We always
used our old dogs to train our puppies as do most. When the old dogs would
lie quietly when bringing out the "tack" we'd know they were ready to
retire. And, so they did. We had old dogs training puppies up to about age
11. A sled dog is very old at 11 and most do not live past 14. That's old
for a dog.

Consider that most seeing eye dogs retire at 7 or 8 due to stress. Having
helped train one of the first seeing eye mini horses the life span is a huge
advantage. But, that's another story.

Dolores
www.zenhorsemanship.com