Re: [RC] Sled Dogs and Endurance riders - Kristene Smuts

I remember a number of years ago, I saw an interview with Susan Butcher (?)
in which she credited her then recent win to taking the puppies into the
house and socializing them>>

Steph, this is waaaayyyy OT, so let us know when we overstep, OK?  In defense,
this is sorta endurance related, just dogs, not horses ;-)))

Well, the one book on Joe Redington, generally known as the Father of the
Iditarod, it tells of Susan arriving in a Volkswagon Beetle on Joe's doorstep.
She steps out, greets him, and with his customary friendliness tells her that
she can set up in the bottom part of the property with her dog.  She looked at
him and then out popped not only one dog, but I think 10!!!  Imagine carting 10
dogs around in a VW Beetle!

I wonder if the concept of "winning through relationship" didn't set the
stage for vet checks and other innovations for the benefit of the dogs.>>

I think it did.  Also, many more mushers credited this to their successes on
the trail.  Those who treated their dogs like machines, didn't do so well.

The whole idea of tethering the dogs outside to their kennels must also be seen
in context.  They can't afford to have dogs running around fighting the whole
time or dogs covering bitches at every opportunity.  Being outside is where the
dogs are most comfortable because of their coats - they deal better with the
cold than the heat.  Their season is middle of winter because the dogs couldn't
run 10 steps in even a very mild summer (if you can call just above freezing,
"summer" ;-)) ).  I do agree about the length of the tether - or shortness,
rather - that should be regulated.  Also, remember that some of these mushers
have 2 or more teams, which makes in the region of 30-45 dogs!  I love dogs,
but I can't see myself living with that many in my house!

Kristene
South Africa ........ where our coldest winter day has been 12 deg. C!