Re: [RC] Awards & More - Truman Prevatt

That pretty much sums it up. There is also the issue that each rule in the rule book doesn't carry the same weight when it comes down to the integerty of the sport. For example a ride manager the continually sanctions 40 miles of trail as a 50 is a more significant rules violation that someone that may or may not violate the "completion award rule." Sort of like a jaywalking vs. DUI manslaughter.

Until the AERC BOD gets serious about enforcing it's own rules we won't have standardization and depending on people to protest is not going to hack it. Why would someone that got 50 miles credit for 40 miles ridden or better yet 100 miles credit of 80 miles ridden protest?

The only other options is stewards.  And these carry their own baggage and they add cost.

IMO if the AERC can't get a handle around the issues and put in procedures that will ensure standardization it should abolish all national awards and give out only regional awards. Most people ride most of their rides in their home region and normally within a region there is standardization if only because of the smaller georgraphic are and smaller demographic differences involved.

Truman

Nancy Mitts wrote:
Many of these periodic discussions have the same underlying issue. Should AERC (meaning the board, committees, etc.) continue chasing themselves in circles trying to establish "AERC Endurance?" That is, a defined competition where the rules are the same (and applied the same) at sanctioned events nationwide. Or, does AERC continue to say, any ride that more or less complies with our most important rules can have their results thrown in the pot for points. You don't have to comply with whatever you really don't agree with.
I can have the Nancy Mitts Way Fun Endurance is a State of Mind ride and do whatever I please.
When it becomes AERC sanctioned, I think I'm supposed to treat it as a competition run along the guidleines of the national organization. Maybe I'm wrong, and that's not what most  people want to see? If an overwhelming majority want to continue with a loose collection of do your own thing rides, then that is the message that needs to be spelled out. Otherwise, those working for standardization are wasting their time.

Nancy Mitts

--
"It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis

   "It is necessary to be noble, and yet take humility as a basis.

    It is necessary to be exalted, and yet take modesty as a foundation."