RE: [RC] [RC] round pen - Lif Strand

At 04:57 AM 7/14/2004, Christina McCarthy wrote:
when I round penned him he did the circles and turned when I wanted him to and then he came to me.

You have taught your horse to come to you when he stops. What you might want to do is teach your horse to stop and stay! I have taught some of my horses to stop when I hold up my palm flat in their direction (like a traffic cop's hand stop signal).

The next time your horse comes to you as he does, just before he gets to you, put your hand up in the stop signal in front of his face. Don't just wait till the last second and spook him - just put your hand up shortly before he reaches you in a deliberate and calm fashion. If he runs into your hand and stops or stops just short of running into your hand, reward him (with my horses the regular reward is just saying "good boy" or "good girl", and a really special award is a pat or scratch). Holding your hand in place, back up a step. If he doesn't move, reward. Holding up your hand, back up another step, reward him if he doesn't move. Put your hand down and back up a few steps - if he stays there, reward. If he takes a step to you, put up your hand and if he stops, reward. If he doesn't stop, let him walk into your hand - even if he does stop at that point no reward because you don't want to teach JJ that the idea is to walk into your hand!

When you are doing this, use your mind as well. Envision your hand as emanating a force that is a big barrier. Feel it in your own body as a Major Point of Stopping. Believe fully that JJ will stop when you put your hand up. I am not saying that there is any psychic component to training (and I'm not saying there isn't either), but if you don't believe the horse will stop, neither will he. Maybe believing changes your body language and that's what the horse gets (they are masters at that) - who cares. You want JJ to stop

Each time there is an opportunity to teach the stop, do it. You don't have to make a big deal about it - there's no need to have a "training session" just for learning the stop signal. Your horse will get it!

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA