RE: [RC] [RC] round pen - Mcgann, Barbara

Chris,

Ed's right.  Put a lunge line on him.  No reason to do loose round penning
until he will do everything you ask him (walk, trot, reverse, stop, etc) on the
line.  You CAN get a loose horse to stay out and slow down, but it takes a lot
of reversing him, body language and experience.  Like any other training
method, a really experienced person doing it is a thing of beauty, but too many
times, people see someone else do it and they go home and try it without
understanding the principles or even what they are trying to acheive and they
end up just mindlessly chasing the horse!

Besides Ed's method, another way to get your horse to lunge quietly is:  Put
the lunge line on him.  Turn him so he is parallel to you and you are standing
at his hip.  Rub him with the lunge whip all over.  Get the line situated in
your hand so that you have about 5-6 feet loose hanging between you and the
horse.  Then TAP him right over the hip bone and say walk.  You might have to
tap 2,3,4 times, repeating the command; you might have to tap a little harder
if he doesn't move forward, but the key is to immediately stop tapping if he
even takes one step forward.  Praise him.  Wait a second or two, then do it
again.  This time he should take a few more steps.  Don't pull up on his head.
If he moves off, you can go with him or bend him in a short circle around you.
Do this over and over; he will soon be walking in a small circle around you on
command.  Then you can ask him to move a little further away by letting the
rope slip through your hands as he starts and waving the whip gently to ask him
to get away from you.  Very quickly he will be going in a large circle around
you.  When you ask him to stop, give him some consistent signal (I slump my
shoulders and bend over just a bit), say whoa, and then tug on the rope.  Try
not to tug very hard as that will turn him into you.  You want him to just stop
where he is, and then you very quickly walk to him and praise him alot!!

Barb McGann