Re: [RC] We have hit the 100 mark on signatures! - Bette Lamore

It is sad but there is hope, Sandy. I don't see many breeders producing the big numbers anymore --- certainly not the halter breeders-- mostly race breeders with the exception of Sheila Varian and Bazey Tankersley-- both of which breed for performance horses and in 2002 Bazy produced 117 and Sheila only 73. Godolphin Racing was the Top Producer that year with 128 with Ventura Farms at 77 and Kirshner at 72, Darley Stud at 62... --- lots of racing farms near the top. To give you an idea of just how reduced it is, Mark and I were named on the first page of the AHA Top Breeders page with only 9 offspring (by the way, I noticed, Heidi Smith, you beat us out by 1 foal :-) and once big breeders like Christine Krauch of Paragon Arabians (I used to do her web page before she retired this year so I know she used to take all the ribbons at Scottsdale) only bred 10 as did many formerly big breeders in the industry. The times, they are changing-- for the good! And as far as Sheila Varian, I pass her pasture every week when I go to film Jeff Wonnell's clients' horses-- there are many, many out in pasture and she has the money to feed them so I don't imagine it is a problem for her. As Bob Magness used to say "I'd rather feed my horses than give the money to the government". (Can't say I disagree with him :-) ) and he certainly did have the money to feed them. I'd probably breed more again if I had the money to insure each shelter and food for the rest of their lives and the time to devote to each one. I love babies and the process of watching them grow up and, well, I just love the breed. A client of mine once asked some trainers at the track what he could expect from his investment (training costs) and I laughed and replied "Return on your investment--- what! Are you nuts! Here we are Patrons of the Arts!" The trainers laughed and agreed, saying they were always wondering what to call themselves :-) It's the one product I could always sell because I believe in it -- in them-- wholeheartedly!
Bette and Bunny, "the tax write-off!" (That is VERY tongue in cheek before anyone gets ready with their blow torches)

SandyDSA@xxxxxxx wrote:

Just a thought - seems to me that ranches producing 100 or 200 or even more foals in a season are doing the breed no favors, in hopes of getting that one halter champion - who as we all know will go on to do pretty much nothing else, what with the requirements for BEING a national champ halter horse. Then they dump or try to pawn off as "endurance prospects everything they can't stand up and trot out. Sad.

--
Bette Lamore
Whispering Oaks Arabians

Always remember: "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away." (George Carlin)