Re: [RC] How many miles a week? - heidi

Just curious how many miles a week you guys ride in order to condition
your  horse for 25/50/100 miler. On another list I belong to (not
endurance-related), someone said that their vet recommended riding the
same  number of miles per week as you want to compete (so, if you wanted
to do 50  mile rides, you would ride 50 miles per week).

On average, I ride about 25 miles per week, split into two short rides and
one longer ride.  That is PLENTY for most horses to get ready for 50s,
IMO.  I don't alter that for 100s--instead, we just start doing longer
competitions.  (Have not worked my way up to a 100 in my "second"
incarnation as a rider, but did several on that same formula in my "first"
incarnation.  AM up to 75 again, though--and I don't alter my program.)

I know there are other considerations besides milage to consider: speed,
 weather, terrain, etc. I'm just trying to get a handle on how much time
it  takes if you want to condition for 50 milers or even 100 milers, and
if it  is plausible to be able to do it when you have a demanding full
time job and  don't have direct access to trails (have to trailer out to
trails).

I've been lucky to have good trail access most of the time, but did
campaign very hard one year (including several 100s and a total season
mileage of well over 1000) while working about 60 hours a week in
veterinary practice--the general schedule was a 5-7 mile ride every
Tuesday and Thursday (as I was riding a mare who NEEDED a regular
schedule--not all of them do!) and a somewhat longer ride on Saturdays.
On ride weekends, obviously the competition itself became the "longer"
ride on Saturdays...

Also, once you actually start the competitive season, how much riding do
you  do to maintain your horse's fitness?

Depends on the horse.  The above mare NEEDED a regular schedule.  My
stallion Abu Ben Surrabu did 1000+ miles in just under 6 months, and was
better off to just be turned out to be a horse in between rides when he
was competing that frequently.  He stayed active, and did better with the
time off than with excessive drilling down the trails.

Heidi