Re: [RC] Tevis - headlamps??? - Lif Strand

At 08:45 PM 7/9/2004, Wrecksduke@xxxxxxx wrote:
Already plan on using glow sticks on the breastcollar.

Glowsticks should be enough. Headlamps on your head will work for you but will not be good for your horse's night vision should you turn it off, and also will not light the way under your horse's feet or directly ahead of your horse because his head/neck/shoulders will block the light. Basically if you use a headlamp, you will be using it for you but you won't be helping your horse, you will be hindering him/her.

Movement of the light caused by the movement from your head will be very annoying - I've been told even nauseating - for other riders (I think it's the moving shadows that don't synch with their own movement that gets them).

Thirdly, you will wreck the night vision of other riders and horses you encounter. While a human's night vision comes back relatively quickly, a horse's doesn't, and therefore you might accidentally cause a problem for someone else's horse.

I tried riding with a flashlight when I came down the California loop after dark and alone the first year I did Tevis. I really got yelled at -threatened with bodily harm, as a matter of fact, and by someone who was a *very* experienced Tevis rider - when I caught up to other riders with that light. I never used a light after that, just the breastcollar glow sticks.

   Lif Strand      fasterhorses.com
           Quemado NM USA