RE: [RC] [RC] sane future for spooky arab?? - Laurie Durgin

Hey, I have kind of come to that conclusion too----May I add, if you must ride alone(like me), and he loses confidence, get down and lead him from the ground till the 'nasty' goes by.It helped with mine--took me a while to figure out. and he had a few people try to force him when afraid . I learned not to force, but to lead.Eventually he learned to trust me not to get him killed.

From: "Jim Holland" <lanconn@xxxxxxx>
To: "'Ridecamp Guest'" <guest-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [RC] sane future for spooky arab??
Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 20:45:08 -0400

This is true to some extent of just about every Arab I have ever known, more
or less depending on his background. He is lacking in confidence and since
Arabs are about the only breed that has not been "modified" by breeding for
docility, it comes with the package. Like everything else, the "fire,
intelligence, and athleticism" of an Arab come with a price. The survival
instinct is very strong.

The "cure" is to spend a lot of time....it usually takes a year at
least...on the ground earning his respect and generating a "bond". I never
take a young horse anywhere until I can consistently make him focus on me
when his attention wanders and until he looks to me for guidance before
losing his cool...FROM THE GROUND. Work on ground manners by leading him in
stressful situations and working on his behavior under stress.

Then you expand his horizons gradually, always asking for deferral to you.
"Throwing him to the wolves" under saddle without the "security blanket" of
training and bonding is asking for a wreck, possibly with serious injury to
you or him.

I got Magic at 4 1/2, didn't ride him ANYWHERE except a small paddock for a
year, then took him on trail rides by himself in controlled circumstances
for another year.

Patience and consistency is the key.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic (who thinks he has this Endurance
stuff figured out) <grin>

MSN Life Events gives you the tips and tools to handle the turning points in your life. http://lifeevents.msn.com