Re: [RC] Tevis trail accident - heidi

At 12:30 PM 7/5/2004, rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
How often do any horses see that sort of crowd?

How often does anyone train a horse to be in a crowd before going to a
ride  that starts in a crowd?  I hate to keep hammering at this, but
starting in  a crowd is something you can work on beforehand.  You might
not be able to  totally duplicate the start, but you sure could work on
getting your horse  used to being bumped, being in a moving, milling
herd in the dark, etc. etc.

Amen, Lif!  I've often used little local horse shows for this very
thing--horses and riders jammed in an arena, going around in circles at
all gaits, getting cut off at the rail, etc.  And my horse needs to learn
to give and take with that, shorten up his stride if need be (and at my
direction) when someone is cutting in front, etc.

We also have used Back Country Horseman outings as an exercise in the fact
that you can go out in a herd of horses on the trail all day and WALK.  I
think the WALK is the most neglected gait on most endurance horses--and
they ALL should be able to WALK when asked to do so, even in the "hype" of
the start of a ride.  (Been working on that one with one that I'm riding
right now--and he was HYPED at his last ride, and NOT happy about being
asked to walk, but he DID IT, because he had learned at home that Mama is
the Queen of Walk and we're gonna do that whether he likes it or not!)

You may not have all of the parts put together until you get to the ride,
but you can certainly have all of the parts rehearsed beforehand, in one
fashion or another.

Heidi